понедельник, 9 октября 2017 г.

Turning Gourds into Art

Turning Gourds into Art
Hand Painted Gourds with Sensible Gardening and Living

Last summer I planted ornamental gourds for the first time and was pleasantly surprised at how well they did. I planted the hard skinned gourds because I wanted to dry them over the winter and then paint on them. I’ve seen painted gourds before at craft shows and thought they would make a great gift. Totally home made from start to finish! To see how I grew and dried the gourds read my article ORNAMENTAL GOURDS.


Gourds-on-vine-sensible-gardening.jpg
Growing Gourds / Sensible Gardening and Living

Every gourd has its own unique shape so decide which gourd you want to use for your art project.


dried-gourds2-sensible-gardening.jpg
Gourds / Sensible Gardening and Living

Once the gourds were totally dry I gave them a wash with warm water and dried them thoroughly. There were a few dried spots of white mold stain on the bottom, so I rubbed them down with rubbing alcohol.


mold-sensible-gardening.jpg
White Mold Stain / Sensible Gardening and Living

alcohol-sensible-gardening:jpg
Rubbing Alcohol / Sensible Gardening and Living

HOW TO PAINT GOURDS


You can get your inspiration from many sources. Pictures, magazine photos, your own photos, greeting cards, art books or where ever.


art-cards-sensible-gardening.jpg
Art Cards / Sensible Gardening and Living

Once I had decided what I wanted to paint I sketched an outline of my picture onto the gourd in pencil.


pencil-draw-sensible-gardening.jpg
Pencil Sketch / Sensible Gardening and Living

Next I painted onto the gourd using acrylic paints. Oil paint takes too long to dry and water colour paint will rub off. You can purchase paints and brushes at any craft store. Please keep in mind that you do not have to be an artist to enjoy this project. Use colours you love, turn on your imagination and just give it a go.


acrylic-paints-sensible-gardening.jpg
Acrylic tubes / Sensible Gardening and Living

painted-gourd-sensible-gardening.jpg
Painted Gourd / Sensible Gardening and Living

After the paint was thoroughly dry, I gave the painted gourd an even coat of varnish. If you plan to use your gourd art outside be sure to use a varnish finish suitable for the outdoor elements. Otherwise an interior varnish is all you need. Allow to dry completely. Voila, there you have it. A lovely hand grown and hand crafted piece for your own home or to give as a gift. I really think they are great!


painted-gourdB-sensible-gardening.jpg
Painted Gourd / Sensible Gardening and Living

painted-gourd-sensible-gardening.jpf
Painted Gourd / Sensible Gardening and Living

Tagged gourds, growing gourds, how to paint gourds, ornamental gourds, painted gourd


Original article and pictures take sensiblegardening.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий